Two updates in 1 day??
5 approaches today Monday 4/14 properly distributed so I had plenty of time to do other productive things.
1) Approached a blonde girl (25 or so) in a sandwich/cafe after I'd already gotten my lunch with:
Me: "Hey we have the same shorts!"
Her: "Get out, we do! J. Crew?"
Me: "Naw, but they're all the same aren't they, wink. What are you getting here?"
Her: "Blah blah smoothies"
Me: "Get the one with berries and NEW written next to it you won't regret it"
Her: "Hahaha oh really? I'm not sure I saw that one!"
Me: "I actually thought you were really cute that's why I came over to chat."
Her: "Oh! I'm so flattered but I'm actually engaged!"
So that's basically a pretty standard interaction, if she had been single, I would have tried to guess what she does for a living, or guess maybe where she's from. Or whatever feels right in the moment.
2) Approached a woman whose head was down in thought and had headphones in. I waved from like 6 or 7 feet away, but she was still so startled she literally jumped backwards. Very strange haha, I apologized for startling her, and we chatted for a bit before she walked off, still being strange I guess.
3) Approached a Japanese girl in a pharmacy. Walked past her in the corridor, noticed an orange on the floor, and pointed it out to her.
"Hey look, there's an orange on the floor. By the way, are you Japanese?"
"Awesome! I just went to Japan last year! Insert some japanese here (I usually say something simple just like nice to meet you, or just a word that I like in that language)
We chatted about how she studied english, what we were each looking for in the pharmacy, and then I asked for her number and now we're texting.
4) Approached a girl as I was leaving the pharmacy. "Hey this is random but I thought you were cute." Extremeeeely negative response, "I have a boyfriend, bye." This happens from time to time and there's not much you can do about it, except recognize that it most likely has nothing to do with you as a person, and more with the types of experience that specific girl has had.
5) Approached a really super cute girl in a clothing store as she was walking up the stairs. There was no good way to run past her and turn around, so I just called out "hey excuse me! I thought you were really cute, and wanted to say hi"
She wasn't super excited, but also wasn't super unreceptive. If I hadn't been doing so many consistent approaches, I would not have been able to judge that this interaction could go further. I took a step further up the stairs and held out my hand. "Hey, I'm Mike!"
She would respond, but hesitate slightly before each response. It wasn't that she didn't want to talk to me, but just that she didn't know exactly how to process it. This went on for about 10 minutes until I said I should get her number. She replied, why don't we do email? Phone feels a bit weird. To which I replied, that's no problem, and just went back to a conversation thread that we'd left untouched. Chatted for another 5 minutes, moved to a different part of the store (off the stairs) and eventually had to leave. I left with her email, but I think I did a good job of solidifying the interaction to a point where it was easier to process. I think I might ask her out with a gcalendar event LOL. We'll see how the email conversation goes.
I also think I could have maybe said, hey I get that you don't want to swap numbers, that's cool. But think about it this way too, this way, you'll get to have MY number right away It could have worked cause we were already having a really playful vibe, hitting each others shoulders after jokes, and stuff like that, I just think it wasn't really in her reality to get chatted up in the middle of the night in clothing stores.
I'm most excited for #5 cause she was exactly my type. Attractive, good academic background, social but not necessarily a party animal, thoughtful and good conversationalist, playful, and extremely stylish in this sexy played down way (slim hoodie with sweat pants, which was apparently her exam clothes)
That's all for today.